The very popular Macintosh computer is disreputably resistant to almost all viruses, adware, and spyware affecting Windows-based computers. The underlying reason is the security and virus protection provided by Mac Operating System.
However, the occurrence of viruses or any other malware popping up over the internet can be avoided by following the below mentioned tips:
- Safe browsing
Times have gone when Internet Explorer was supported as Safari, Mac OS, Opera, and Firefox are being considered relatively better browsers as far as security matters are concerned. Opting for virus resistant browsers is a good way to protect your PC and Mac from viruses. This feature can be provided by antivirus for Mac – BitDefender Internet Security.
- Avoid download from non-trusted sources
Try and avoid downloading any stuff from a non-trusted source. Most of the spyware and adware programs are present as “.exe” executable. However, Mac OS is safe from the embedded malware of “.exe” executable as it does not support native running of “.exe”. However, downloading from unsafe and non-trusted sites should still be avoided.
- Ensure secure emails
To protect your PC and Mac from viruses, just make sure that you are receiving secure emails. Also, avoid downloading any attachments which were not expected, plus disable images.
- Use Instant Messaging Programs
Update the privacy settings on the Instant Messaging Programs. Generally, most IM Programs include privacy settings which help in filtering your contacts. Your PC and Mac may be at the risk of being attacked by adware, malicious software, and perchance viruses. Avoid downloading anything unless and until you are sure about it being completely safe. The stuff includes images as well.
- Disable Macros
While using MS Office, ensure that you disable Macros if the document being opened and worked upon has originated somewhere else. As a matter of great surprise, Office documents form one of the major situations where viruses can attack Windows Operating System as well as Mac. Therefore, keep the Office software updated.
Here are some other steps towards making your PC and Mac virus resistant by downloading effective antivirus software. If you want to test drive the security then you can go with BitDefender free antivirus Take a look!
- Go for a full system scanning: This is the first step towards making your PC and Mac virus resistant. Click on the ‘HOME’ tab, followed by selecting ‘FULL’ under the ‘SCAN OPTIONS’ further followed by clicking the visible ‘SCAN NOW’ button. It would take some time for your computer to get scanned, about an hour or even more. However, this wouldn’t affect your work as you can do other things simultaneously.
- After the scanning is done, move further and click ‘QUICK’ under ‘SCAN OPTIONS’ for upcoming scans. Follow the process by clicking the SETTINGS tab so as to set a schedule for time to time virus checks.
- The procedure does not end here. Even after downloading antivirus, it is very important to keep a check on the security icon being displayed in the system tray (situated in the right corner down the screen). An icon with a green flag shows a positive sign. In case of a red flag, take it as a warning to perform the required updates.